Monday, October 21, 2013

Catcher in the Rye #1

 Do you identify with the purpose, experience, values expressed in the text? Or if you don’t--what then? How are you connecting to the text?

The novel I am reading is Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. One of the main reasons I was able to enjoy and get into this book is how much I could relate to the main character, Holden Caufield. I would imagine that most other adolescents especially those in high school would be able to relate to Holden. Going to a prep school, Holden often finds himself annoyed and indifferent to many of his classmates. I'm sure we can all identify with Holden in this aspect and may find ourselves in similar situations. Regardless of our background or point of way, I believe we can all take something from Holden's vivid and unique mindset. As Holden gets into trouble at school or shares views that are different to the norms of society, he reminds us of the importance of individual thought and doing what our heart desires. Holden's actions reminds me that we shouldn't let other peoples' opinions affect the way we make decisions or how we live our lives. His lifestyle expresses one of the main values of this novel which is individualism. This is a characteristic that I believe even if it is in the slightest way. I think that kids, especially in our generation, are to quick to follow others and hop on trends. I think it is important to be different in some regards and express ourselves whether it is through the way we dress or the type of music we listen to. Should we believe something is right or wrong just because society or the government tells us? Certainly not, we should do whatever it is our heart desires. I believe Holden is a prime example of this lifestyle. At times he is a bit too judgmental, but this ultimately demonstrates how he thinks "out of the box" and doesn't conform with the norm of society. Overall, I can really appreciate and relate to the idea of individualism in this novel. We are all unique for a reason and we shouldn't always be a follower, or what Holden would call "a phony".




No comments:

Post a Comment